Friday, June 14, 2013

Grateful for my African Aunties and Nurses

First of all Judy is doing well, is back home and on the mends. 
Heres what my last couple of days have been like... 
(Driving Around Kigali, Construction and Development)

As some of you may already know on Tuesday, my roommate, Judy slipped on some water and fell down the stairs. She dislocated her ankle. Thankfully she had her phone on her and was able to call for help. Help came in the form of Bryan Hixon, (ROC missionary and KICS board chair) Rusty Linden (ROC Missionary) and me! Bryan drove his car which served as the ambulance to her house. I fumbled with the key’s as I tried to open the door, I could already her Judy yelling “Praise the Lord Jesus, Hallelujah”. I was the first to go up the stairs, and Judy warned me “It’s not pretty.” Her ankle was dislocated and her foot hung to the side. Soon Rusty and Brian were in and they each took her under the shoulder and carried her into the car. I held her hand as Brian and I took her to the ER of King Fiscal, (the best hospital in Kigali). 

ER was as busy as I have every seen it, with only one doctor on duty, so it was slow moving. Over the next 3 hours after an x-ray, the orthopedic surgeon came to inform us that Judy was going to need surgery. They hopped to start at 8:30. 

My original plans for the evening was to visit a small group from church that was meeting in Kimihuraha, (my old neighborhood). Since Pat, the KICS Director and friend of Judy had arrived, I felt comfortable leaving Judy in good hands. I took a taxi to the small group, and was greeted by Elijah (Church administrator) at the gate. I met knew and old faces. The couple who hosted; the wife was from england and the husband from Spain, their two little boys were already in their pjs and on their way to bed. We spent some time in worship, Elijah had brought his guitar. A highlight was our bible study time where we discussed what we each of us hoped to get out of a small group and what our purposes for meeting were was. Our time closed with prayer, and we lifted up prayers for Judy.

After small group one of the woman named Gaci offered  to drop me off at home. She insisted also in taking me to the hospital if need be, and even offered for me to spend the night at her house if I was going to be home alone that night. Gaci is from Kenya, and has three small children. She remembered my parents fondly and expressed how much she had missed my family. When I arrived home I called Bryan to check in with how Judy was doing: She had yet to go into surgery but it was becoming clear that someone would need to stay the night with her in the Hospital. I volunteered. I assured Gaci that I would be ok for the next couple hours by myself, and that Bryan would come get me. Around 11:30pm Bryan came to pick up me and Judy’s things. He explained that Judy had just gone in for surgery.

Next began the waiting; Pat, Bryan and I visited in her private room where she would be staying the next two nights. Finally around 1:30am Bryan and Pat went to go see if they could found out any information. A little while later, a nurse came in. I asked if Judy was coming, and she replied, “Yes, Now you help me move the bed and go get her” from surgery! Side Note: In Africa we are all nurses, if someone in our community is hurt you obviously assist them, even if you may not have all the qualifications. So it wasn’t weird at all for the nurse to have me help her push the bed and take it down the elevator to where Judy was waiting. Nor was it strange, for me to pull the sheets under Judy and help transfer her to her bed. Not weird at all, though it surprised me a little. 
(Baby G checking me out, while we wait for momma)


By the time Judy was back in her room it was closer to 3am. I spent the rest of what was left of the night on a cushioned chair, with a coffee table as a foot rest. I slept off and on between nurse visits to check her vitals. Around 7:30am I got a text from Keli Shrek, that her and the babies (two children her family are fostering) were going to bring me breakfast. When baby M, baby G and Kelly arrived I was soon relieved by another woman working with ROC this summer, Sue. Keli is the children's minister at CCR, so the original plan was for me to help her on Wednesdays. I decided that I should continue on with the day, even though I had a lack of sleep, because I so desperately just wanted to start to get acclimated to the time difference and start feeling like myself again. I was so grateful to go home to Keli’s house and take a nice hot shower. I got to work on a few things for Sunday school classes, and Kelly talked to me about other projects this summer such as teacher training and a kids fun day.  I also got to play with her beautiful babies, Baby G even would snuggle on my lap. Kelly said that was rare, because she is pretty picky about who she goes to sometimes. I think I reminded her of her big sisters that are in the US right now with their dad. 

(Silly Baby) 
A few friends came over for lunch, and I was starting to fade. I was urged to take a nap around 3pm, and I woke up around 6pm to the sound of Keli’s gentle voice. I was disoriented  and confused. My body ached, and my head throbbed. I had developed a nasty cold over the last few days and the combination of jet lag and a night at the hospital was taking it’s toll. I made a call to check in on Judy, we had talked about moving into a house with a bedroom on the first floor (so Judy wouldn’t have to use the stairs). Judy was doing good and would be let out tomorrow, and we would move tomorrow into a new house. Keli was about to run an errand and said that she could take me home or I could spend the night at her house. I said that I could go home, but as I put my shoes on I began to cry. That really ugly, “I don’t know why I’m crying I’m not sad” kind of cry. Keli urged me to stay with her the night, have dinner with her. I did not fight back, only nodding saying yes and sat back down on the couch. I was almost laughing at myself which made my crying even uglier I suppose. I was frustrated by my exhaustion. I just wanted to be myself, to have energy. After some drinking some water and  having dinner I felt allot better, enough to even watch an old classic “Shop Around the Corner” with Keli. 

That night I slept a good 8 hours, and if you know me that made me much happier the next day. This was yesterday, my Thursday, which was my first day working at the school. (I will be at KICS Thursdays and Fridays). My day also included moving into a new house, and picking up Judy from the Hospital. She is in good spirits. However, will have to be on crutches for the next 6 weeks. It is amazing how God prepared for me to live with her so I could be here for her. I must say she is very independent and has repeated over and over again that I should continue doing what I came here to do. Maybe this is what God had for me to do part of the time? Isn’t his timing perfect? She is hiring someone to help and stay with her during the day though so my duties may relax a little.  

Now reflecting on these last couple of days I am thinking about nurses and aunties. As I described earlier sometimes it feels like in Africa we are all nurses. Another term used to describe older woman that care for you, are “Sengas” or Aunties. Looking back at my life here in Africa I have had many Aunties who took care of me. When I was sick I was cared for not only by my parents but by our worker’s Toepesta and Jane, by women at church, and teachers etc. That popular phrase it takes a village to raise a child comes to mind. But not only does it take a community to raise children, it takes community to raise adults. We need our “nurses” and aunties to care of us no matter what age we are. I’m reminded of that this week by the kindness of Gaci and Keli, and many other’s that have looked out for me my first week here. How grateful am I for their gifts; what appears to be effortless hospitality and care that pours out of them. I pray to one day have the same gifts as my many African Aunties. 

Things to be praying about... 

  1. The youth pastor has asked me to do a weekly art/drama workshop with the youth here. Today I will be meeting with a group at 4pm to assess interest. Pray for an outpouring of the Holy Spirit as I listen and teach. Pray for creativity. And relationships to be formed. I don’t know where this will all be going, but trusting on the Lord.
  2. Continued pray for Judy as she heals and rest this week. Praise for the good doctors, and healing that has already happened. 
(African Bite for Staff meeting Lunch...mmm mmm good!) 

( Scaffolding in Rwanda) 


2 comments:

  1. Love the scaffolding shot, and your honesty in processing your experiences. Praying for you, Soph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sophia, I was almost in tears reading about your tears!! I remember those frustrating feelings of jet lag and so desperately wanting to feel like yourself and fit into a new place all at once. What a blessing God sent you there at just the right time to help care for Judy! Praying for you and your transition into interning and being a part of a familiar yet strange community this summer! LOVE!! ps ... thank you for including the food picture ... I'm almost salivating just looking at it. :)

    ReplyDelete