Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Stringing Together Diverse Experiences

Judy Update: Thanks for your prayers! My roommate has returned to the states where she can receive better care and attention from her family! She arrived safely and is enjoying her grandkids, who she said have figured out the best way to get her around, by pushing her on a rolling office chair. 
(A view from Heaven Restaurant, the hill in the middle with all the orange look-a-like buildings is my neighborhood)

I am entering my third week in Kigali, Rwanda. In a way it feels like I have been here much longer, my days have been full. In addition it seems like, I have just opened my “Rwanda Book” to the page I left off on and continued with life here. Now Wheaton and Chicago feel very far away. I think because I have lived in Rwanda before it has helped me to adjust quicker, i.e. I know where to do my grocery shopping, how to direct a taxi where I need to go, and all the other little things and habits like filtering water and how to buy airtime minutes for my phone. Understanding the culture and way of life here has allowed me to really soak up my short time here.
(Worship at Christ Church in Rwanda)

Now I have began to develop a bit of a weekly routine. Let me share with you what a typical week is starting to look like. I spend three days a week working at Christ Church in Rwanda, (this includes sundays). This Sunday I had the opportunity to serve on the worship team. In addition I assisted the 6-7 year old bible class. Such fun! My other two days at the church are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tuesday is my longest day, because my mornings start with staff prayer, lunch and meeting, then my Theater Art Class in the afternoon, and then to a church small group in the evening. My class meet for the second time this week and our numbers doubled to 12. It has immediately stretched me and made me grow. The young people are wonderful though, creative and very excited to jump in to whatever crazy thing I tell them to do. While it has been a stretching time, I do feel very much in my element and enjoy it very much. I’m eager to see how we progress as a group, and eager to continue to grow friendships with each one of them. Wednesdays are spent assisting the Children's Minister, Kelly. These days have proved to be very enjoyable because of the sweet company, of Kelly.  Thursday and Fridays I spend at Kigali International Community School, (KICS). My projects at the school are mostly administrative, organization and inventory. However, even though these may seem like mundane jobs I thoroughly enjoy them. As an alumni of KICS, I am very grateful for my years there and the work that went into the school. I am very proud, I have a very full feeling to be serving there and helping them get ready for the coming school year. Like a good missionary, I have been taking Monday’s off. I have enjoyed my times of restful, solitude, and also my times of fellowship at a coffee shop with a friend or Pool with other missionary families. 
(Praying in Sunday School) 

(Shields of faith!) 
As you can see my experiences here are very diverse from teaching, to administrative tasks, to worship leading, to working with adults, teens and children. I am also grateful for the diverse group of people I get to work along side and learn from, men and woman, teachers and administrators, and other volunteers. One such couple is Tom and Sue Gooch, who volunteer frequently with ROC and are here for the summer. Sue has jumped in where Judy has left off. And last week at KICS I was her right hand woman as we worked our way around the school. I am trusting the Lord as he continues to expose me to different avenues of His work. My schedule has blessed my personality that enjoys change and thrives in flexibility from one task to another different task. I’m also trusting the Lord to continue to string all these different experiences together; teaching me and provided me with “A HA” moments. 


One such moment this week has been reconnecting with an old teacher, who is now full time directing Young Life in Rwanda, (especially reaching out to international schools). My senior year I served as a Young Life leader and it was the highlight of my year. Returning now to Rwanda I have found such an excitement getting to teach, work and be friends with young people. Huge part of my passion is realizing how these young people were me and my friends only a few years ago. When I was in High school I so valued the relationships I had with my teachers and mentors, who reached out to me. 
(A clever use of two future wall pillars)

(My favorite coffee shop, creative use of African fabric)

(The Hospital I spent the night at with Judy

(My dear friend Julia, going to be a Senior at KICS this year)


( Julia and I walked back home from our coffee date, she showed me this short cut path)
(Kigali International Community School)
(Christ Church in Rwanda) 

(I can't believe I went to school in this beautiful place, I took this view for granted)


1 comment: