Friday, March 15, 2013

2013 Summer in Rwanda

(Kigali, Rwanda )

(My brother caleb and I leading a song in church)
















Growing up as a missionary kid overseas, I was resistant to the idea of being a missionary when I grew up. However, God continues to work in my life; providing me with opportunities to lead bible studies, teach kids, make new friends, and serve with diverse groups of people. I believe God continues to use each of these experiences to prepare me for His calling. It may be overseas or in the US. It may be traditional ministry, teaching or community work. Whatever it may be I desire to keep myself open to new experiences. This summer I will pursue God’s will through serving as an intern with Rwanda Outreach Community Partners .
(My family including my foster brother Gabriel Christmas 2011)

This is a new journey back to my old home of Kigali, Rwanda. However, I will now be returning to Rwanda as an adult. I will be serving at Christ’ Church in Rwanda and Kigali International Community School. I will be working alongside local missionaries and staff, learning about ministry, education, and other community development work. I am eager to expand my experience and knowledge, as well as grow spiritually in my understanding of my gifts and dependence on God. This summer will be an opportunity for me to consider what my own vocational calling may be; exploring the possibilities of returning to Rwanda post graduation.
(Leading Worship at Christ' Church Rwanda summer 2011)

Last semester I lived in Chicago, interning at a theatre company while studying Urban issues. It was a challenging experiences that grew my desire to live and work in an urban environment. This summer I am looking forward to being in the capital city of Rwanda, examining the characteristics of urban life compared to western global cities like Chicago. I hope to use the tools I gained last semester to serve the community in Kigali. 

Another transformative experience at Wheaton college is being a member of Arena Theatre. I have learnt about living in community with others, while working collaboratively on a common goals. This summer in addition to serving as an intern, I hope to begin personally researching future theatre and art opportunities in Rwanda for further course work and/or vocational work post-grad. As an artist I have no end project in mind, only to listen and see where my skills may meet a need.


(My father and I and the hills of Rwanda)
Looking towards this summer, I am eager to return to my home country of Rwanda as an adult, to learn, serve, and seek God’s will. 

I only have to raise $600 to meet my support goal. Please consider joining my journey to Rwanda by giving

FINANCIAL SUPPORT:
Would you like to fast from a meal you would normally eat out? ($10)
Utilities for one week? ($25) 
Utilities for two weeks? ($50)
 Transportation for a week? ($75)
 Food for a week? ($125) 
Housing for two weeks? ($250) Other ______ 
You can give: 
 Online at the  ROC Website:
- select Jenkins, and WRITE SOPHIA JENKINS in comment box. 


Please send an email to sophia.jenkins@my.wheaton.edu with you pledge for my records. Thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment