Saturday, December 29, 2012

Thank You to My Parents Who Tell Me Everyday I Matter


My father and I on the Nile, Uganda 1993
This Holiday season I have been reminded of the many things I have to be thankful for, most importantly my family. Many unknowns present themselves for our future especially financially for the coming New Year. However, God has proven again and again in our family’s story that in those times of uncertainty and waiting, you are the most moldable for God to transform you into His plan. Recently my father wrote a blog titled Missionary Kids Matter (http://jenkinsinrwanda.blogspot.com/2012/12/missionary-kids-matter.html.)  After reading it I began to reflect on how grateful I am for my parents and the life they have shared with each of my siblings and me. 

(Uganda Early Years)
Being a missionary kid has considerable challenges. An example is struggling with a sense of belonging and identity as we move frequently and have several cultural influences. However, I have always exclaimed that through the trials I would not trade my years in Africa for anything. Today I realize that my positive experiences are not only because I grew up in Africa but because of how my parents raised me in Africa. My parents always put their children first. When I read my father’s blog his kind words did not surprise me, because often my father tells me how much I matter and seeks my advice. My mother is one of my closest and truest friends. Throughout our years on the mission field my parents have worked tirelessly to provide us (their children) with good schools, sports and arts opportunities, and food on the table. And beyond all the physical provisions my parents offered each of us encouragement, respect, and unconditional love.

It is at this point in my reflection that I must be very personal and honest. 

(My visit to Rwanda Christmas 2011)
My freshman year of Collage was extremely challenging. I am very grateful for the relationships I formed and the resources of professors and classes at Wheaton College. However, I found myself riding the waves of culture stress through the entire year. When I returned from my Christmas visit to Rwanda for the spring semester, I was very depressed. I decided to see the counseling center, because I needed a place where I could process my homesickness and adjustment to the US. I missed my family terribly and felt isolated. Even though I and my family tried our best to stay in touch with Skype dates, being separated by an ocean was too much. What got me through my last semester of freshman year was the promise that my family would soon be with me again. 

My parents had chosen to move to Wheaton, IL to continue working for ROC and ministering to the Diaspora of East Africa residing in the Chicago area. From the start of this transition to the present moment my parents continued to put their children first. Even though the move to the US has brought its difficulties, with cultural stress and adjustment, we have continued to grow closer as a family. My parents have prioritized the children and concentrated most of their first efforts into settling my siblings into life in America. From registering Timothy for camps, finding a good youth groups, ballet classes for Ruth, collage options for Caleb, and soccer teams for Ethan. The list could go on and on. 

(Thanksgiving 2012 my parents hosted my college friends)
This semester brought with itself new challenges for me personally when I moved from Wheaton’s campus to live, work, and take classes in Chicago for a semester. I do not know how I would have gotten through the semester, if my parents were not a 45 min train ride away. Each time I was able to visit home for a weekend, I left refreshed and encouraged, (also with a bag full of groceries). My father would take a couple hours out of his day to drive me back to my apartment in Uptown. Returning now to my family for Christmas has provided me a safe space where I can continue to process my experiences. I do not like playing the "What if ….?" game. However, if my parents were not in the US during this season my life would be very difficult. 

(A visit to Gabriel Mugisha Summer 2012)
I am so grateful for my parents who tell us every day that we their children matter. My parents have sacrificed many of the financial luxuries of their peers, (i.e. savings, investments, owning property) to follow God’s command and call in their lives to not only be missionaries but also committed parents. My parents could have had a small, manageable family, however they chose to adopt my youngest siblings Timothy and Ruth. My parents have even been parents to the fatherless, fostering Gabriel Mugisha Jacobs for 10 months last year. My parents have taught me so much. Their example has encouraged me to pursue God with my whole heart, offering up to him my skills, sorrows, and joys. I am so grateful that my parents are in the US for this season of time. If you are interested in participating and learning more about their work please read my Dad’s blog (http://jenkinsinrwanda.blogspot.com/2012/12/christmas-in-chicago.html ) and consider sending a year end donation.  
(My father baptizing me) 

To partner with the Jenkins:

via check:
Rwanda Outreach & Community Partners
3007 NW 63rd, Suite 205
Oklahoma City, OK 73116
Memo line: JENKINS

via credit card:
Go to: ROC Partners

via bank draft:
 and a form will be emailed to you.



1 comment:

  1. Love your honesty and transparency! You are marvelous! We love your family too!

    ReplyDelete