Friday, July 22, 2011

An Inconvience...

G. K. Chesterton wrote, “An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.” In Africa we have a couple of similar wise proverbs, “TIA; This is Africa” and “The man with the key is gone.” These phrases are used to explain the unexplainable, common inconveniences that occur, from loosing electricity to being locked out of an important office. From a small age I was accustomed to the slow pace, often inconvenient ways of doing things in Africa. My father and mother taught me to be patient and creative whenever I was faced with inconveniences. As a family we sought to make the most of the inconveniences that came our way, and turn our struggles into adventures.

 

When I was little my parents often dragged me along on their errands in town. I would entertain myself with my imagination, as I waited patiently for that someone who would fetch that one key. I would watch the people walking down the crowded, dirty Kampala streets and imagine what their stories could be. Suddenly the young women with a baby on her back, became a Princess banished from her kingdom. All she had left of her people was the baby strapped on her back, and the imperial crown of cloth on her head. Instantly the old man sitting on the dusty corner, was transformed into the tragic hero. His attribute of ambition had brought his epic downfall. Once the man returned with the key, I was rudely awaked from my day dreams and we continued on our errands. As a result of these inconveniences I was able to explore the vast adventures of my imagination. 

 

Even at home we were accustomed to inconveniences. When the electricity went off, as it did every other night in Uganda, my family would sit together in the living room under the candle’s red glow. As us kids practiced our shadow puppets, Mom and Dad would tell stories. The stories of how they met, and became missionaries in Africa. We always had a sense of disappointment when the power came back on. Our family was brought together by this rightly considered inconvenience.   

 

As my childhood comes to an end, I see how my life has been a serious of inconveniences turned adventures. The lives my parents chose, have never been easy. Struggles and inconveniences have always followed us. However through every move, we tried to find the adventure in it. Whether this was through a game of how fast can we get through airport security, or a philosophy that, “We will all try our hardest to make the best out of this situation.”  When any problem arose, my parents would give us time to grief. Then the next day we would play, and make our own adventure out of it.


One memory that stands out in my mind was four years ago, when my family was planning to return to Rwanda after an eitght month extended fourlow. As we checked the agent found that one of our passports had just expired. We would not be going home that day. We all grieved, from my mothers teary eyes, to the running noses of my younger siblings. I remember experiencing a desperate pain in my gut for home, and an anxious claw at my throat for a way to get there. Finally my father huddled us together and told us that it would be okay, we would change our flights and get home soon. However he said, “Today we will play.” So we pilled into the mini van and spent the day at the Mall of America ridding the roll-a-coasters. 

 

Many wise men have found sayings or proverbs to explain the inconveniences that are apart of life. These words give us encouragement to make the most out of inconveniences. My parents made us have an adventure we would never forget, by raising our spirits from the inconvenience of an expired passport. I am so thankful that my parents instilled these qualities in me. Being able to turn an inconvenience into an adventure has made me a versatile, creative person. I now look forward to my transition into adulthood, and all the inconveniences ahead in my future. I eagerly await for where my next adventure will lead me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment