Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just a Dream

I woke up with an uncomfortable lump in my throat. I opened my eyes to find myself tangled in the sheets, my body sunk into the bed in a fetal position. I rolled over to see my friend was still asleep. I closed my eyes, hoping that I could go back and change my dream. But it was to far away, backed up in my unconscious. The memory of it began to slip.
I grasped for my dream and brought it back to the for front of my mind. In my dream I had return to my old school. I had a rush of adrenalin, and excitement when I saw the old faces of my friends. They rushed to greet me, but the embrace felt awkward. Like when you finally try on that dress you have been saving in the back of your closet for special occasions. It doest fit. I felt my stomach cringe as I tried to find my classes and place at school. Every thing seemed to have changed. The images of my dream had gone blurry, but I could still feel the emotion they left behind. A sort of sad, sourness filled my gut. I opened my eyes. For try as I may I could not enter the dream again or change my emotions to my liking.
I sat up and reminded my self it was just a dream. A manifestation of my worries and fears that my home in Africa had changed with out me. A fact I'm sure has occurred while I have been in the US this year. Later that afternoon I caught an old school friend on face book. I told her of my dream and she assured me that I have not missed much. I know now; even if things have changed I still have friends good enough to catch me up on all the happenings once I arrive.
Thank you guys, I cant wait to see you this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment