Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Song behind the Title of my Blog

When I was little living in Kampala, Uganda my grandmother often tucked me into bed. I would beg her to tell me storys of her life; from childhood to adulthood, from Arkansas to Africa. She would indulge me with beuatiful stories of simplier times, of her mothers garden, of raising my mother in rural kenya and of her own adventures along the way. As I nodded off to sleep my Grandmother would sing me songs about that eternal shore, of heavens open gates, and of a little turtle who lived in a box. But my favorite song was "Wandering Jews", a song that described the lifes of Abraham, Isacc and Jacob.
My grandmother had her own version of the song. She would make me giggle and smile by substituting the words of Jews with child, and Abraham with Sophia.
"Once there was a wandering child, once there was a wandering child, wandering wandering, child, wandering wandering child, Once there was a wandering child. Her name was Sophia, Her name was Sophia, Sophia... Sophia..."
How this song brought a smile to my face. Little did I know how prophetic it was in it's message. My Grandmother new a truth about my life that would take me several more years to discover. That I would always be a wandering child; never settled in any one place. My life would be like that of Abraham's; fixed on the new destination, but not always knowing where it is.
"Wandering Wandering Sophia."

No comments:

Post a Comment